Trump was very busy today, an obvious desperate attempt to accomplish something for his 100 day judgement…
1. He started off tweeting about the Ninth Circuit blocking his executive orders to withhold federal funds from sanctuary cities.
As Young MC says, “And there’s one more BAN you won’t be getting!”
“…the American Civil Liberties Union and other advocacy groups said the injunction offered a clear warning that Trump’s order — the third issued by the president to be blocked, at least partially, in federal court — is illegal. (1)”
2. He then signed an executive order that calls for reviewing all monuments and federal land use over the last 20 years. Yup, either a petty attempt to smite Clinton and Obama, an idea that was thrown around in the press today or he has an agenda that will likely benefit some business or big-wig somewhere because if not either of those two things, then why.
The Washington Post had this to say:
“Industry groups lambasted Obama’s decisions to set aside land that could otherwise be used for mining, drilling or other industrial activities. Businesses and industry groups have so far had the Trump White House’s ear on environmental and conservation issues..(2)”
3. Healthcare is back on the table. If you thought Ryan’s first version did not pass because moderate Republicans listened to their constituents–well, that was only part of the story. Trump had 2 choices after his first failed attempt:
- a. Invite Democrats to the table, compromise and improve upon the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- b. Screw all Americans and pander to the Freedom Caucus- a BIG FU to everyone!
- Guess which one Trump and Ryan picked.
The House Freedom Caucus, aka Tea Party, aka, Craziest Conservatives approved a new healthcare plan that would replace the ACA. You know what that means, the proposed plan must be worse and hurt more Americans then the last version. Brace yourself, Bridgit.
The new legislation would permit states to waive coverage of essential health benefits like emergency room services, mental health, substance abuse and maternity care. They believe these pesky little things drive up health care for all and remember those Congressmen arguing that they don’t need maternity care…yup, this is happening. The plan would also do away with coverage for pre-existing conditions. Have I got your attention now? Time to get busy folks. Make sure your representatives know how you feel.
4. Last on his list today was proposing his well anticipated tax break; this is what his fanbase has been waiting for. Guess what, unless you are in that 1%, I am anticipating your disappointment. There are little specifics at this point but Trump promises it will be “YUUUGE”–a huge break for him that is.
The NYT reported this:
“The concern would be that lawyers, doctors, consultants or other wealthy people in partnerships could structure much of their personal income as business income, effectively reducing their tax rate from 39.6 percent to 15 percent.
“We don’t need a tax plan that allows the very rich to use pass-throughs to reduce their rates to 15 percent while average Americans are paying much more,” Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the Democratic leader, said Wednesday. “That’s not tax reform. That’s just a tax giveaway to the very, very wealthy that will explode the deficit. (4)'”
5. Gosh, I thought his day was full enough but alas, he is not done. He just announced his plan to pull out of NAFTA. I am sure this will improve our foreign trade policy and international relations, after all his recent talk with Justin went so well [insert heavy eye-roll].
Are you afraid? I sure am.
Mother of 3
Colts Neck, NJ
1 Trump blasts ‘ridiculous’ court ruling that blocked his order on sanctuary cities, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-vows-supreme-court-fight-over-sanctuary-city-defiance/2017/04/26/ba836a12-2a91-11e7-b605-33413c691853_story.html?utm_term=.ff024830b20d
2 Trump orders review of national monument sites, http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/330548-trump-orders-review-of-national-monument-sites
3 Hard-Line Republican Caucus Backs Revised Bill to Repeal Obamacare, https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/us/politics/affordable-care-act-health-republicans.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
4 White House Proposes Slashing Tax Rates for Individuals and Businesses, https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/us/politics/trump-tax-cut-plan.html
5 White House considering order to withdraw from NAFTA, http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/26/politics/donald-trump-nafta/index.html