Trump announced yesterday on—-wait for it, wait for it—twitter [I know, you are not even shocked anymore] that he will decide today whether he will pull the US out of the Paris Agreement.
What is the Paris Accord? Think of it as a signed statement that your country believes in climate change/global warming and is committed to helping to save the planet.
Will Paris get the rose? Will the US be voted off the EARTH? I guess we will find out.
World Awaits Trump Decision on U.S. Future in Paris Accord, https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/31/climate/trump-quits-paris-climate-accord.html?_r=0
Today, around the world, people marched for SCIENCE–science, facts, truth, climate change, the environment–yes, that just happened. Why? Because we live in a political time where logic and facts do not always enter into the equation. Some argue that science is not political and should not be political–but–IT IS!
Our leaders should believe in facts and science. Our leaders should protect the environment in which we live and work to improve upon it for our children and generations to come. Passing legislation to dismantle the EPA or eliminate regulations that help to protect the environment so that big businesses and the coal industry can profit is unconscionable.
Leaders have a social responsibility and unfortunately for us, we have a leader who is anti-facts, anti-science, and anti-human decency–he is incapable of doing the “right” thing.
I marched today in Princeton, New Jersey with my family and about 2000 new friends but what I am most in awe of, is how many sister marches took place around the globe–EVERYWHERE. This is truly unprecedented.
“While scientists and their allies have argued about and even occasionally protested on specific political topics over the years, taking to the streets in a sweeping defense of scientific truth itself and its role in policymaking seems considerably broader and, for the research world, more fundamental (1).”
I believe that taking to the streets to march is seen as a last resort for many in the field of science–but alas, it has come to that. #Resist
There were lots of wonderful signs and people; here are just a few.
Mother of 3
Colts Neck, NJ
1 Historians say the March for Science is ‘pretty unprecedented’, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/04/22/historians-say-the-march-for-science-is-pretty-unprecedented/?utm_term=.bae5be1d4a41
Yesterday Trump announced he was donating his first quarterly salary to the National Park System and Trumpsters everywhere cheered, “Make American Great Again”—–but there are a few BIG problems with this faux generous gesture:
- Trump started his Presidency with a feud with the National Park System. Remember when Trump’s biggest lie was that he claimed his inauguration was bigger than Obama’s and then repeated said lie over and over and over again in an effort to make it true. He called on the National Park System to prove his popularity, eventually forcing the National Park System to release this official photo. Trump actually received the photos the day after his inauguration but he doubled down on his lie (as he ALWAYS does), Spicey Spicer even at one point claimed the media had doctored the images.
- On January 20th, the National Park System account went “rogue” and released the photos and before you could say oppression, the Department of Interior had deleted the twitter account. Thankfully, nothing is ever really deleted on the internet and many had captured the original posts. This sparked tweets about Trump and his admin scrubbing the government sites of climate change and other data they don’t like, aka science/facts. Hence, the Alt US National Park Service Twitter account was formed.
- As Trump’s agenda to dismantle the EPA in favor of BIG Coal and BIG business, to defund science and research, to deny climate change and other scientific facts became more clear, rouge US Agency twitter accounts grew in number daily in the early days of this new oppressive administration. Here is a list of some of those accounts, https://twitter.com/ariherzog/lists/alt-and-rogue/members Pissing off smart folks and arguing against science/facts….well, that used to be ineffective but in this “Post Truth” era, lies dominate. Looking at you FOX.
- Trump’s decision to give $78,000 to the National Park System, is supposedly earmarked to preserve battle fields, sorry Yellowstone and other parks in need of maintenance. Originally he asked the press to decide where the money went, and changed his mind. Why? Knowing his personality and knowing this donation is insulting to an agency whose proposed budget will leave it on life support, I am calling this as I see it, a vindictive calculated MANipulative move. “”If Donald Trump is actually interested in helping our parks, he should stop trying to slash their budgets to historically low levels,” said Michael Brune, executive director of the Sierra Club. “America’s parks, and the people and economies they support, need real funding, not a giant fake check. Parks are a good investment and we must invest now if we want them to be around for our kids,” Brune added.”
- Spicy you can take the “big (referring to physical blown up size, not referring to the value)” check and stick it you know where.
Trump will donate first-quarter salary to National Park Service, White House says,http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-trump-donate-salary-park-service-20170403-story.html
Here are the photos that show Obama’s inauguration crowd was bigger than Trump’s, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/03/06/here-are-the-photos-that-show-obamas-inauguration-crowd-was-bigger-than-trumps/?utm_term=.928c1dfb3ae8
National Park Disservice; The Department of Interior took action after a tweet was shared via the National Park Service account unfavorably comparing the attendance at Trump’s inauguration with that at Obama’s, http://www.snopes.com/nps-twitter-account-shut-down/
It’s Not Just The Park Service: ‘Rogue’ Federal Twitter Accounts Multiply, http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/01/27/512007632/its-not-just-the-park-service-rogue-federal-twitter-accounts-multiply
Trump Donates Salary To National Parks Even As He Tries To Cut Interior Department, http://www.npr.org/2017/04/04/522518472/trump-donates-salary-to-national-parks-even-as-he-tries-to-cut-interior-departme
The Administration’s Assault on the Environment
An new scientific report shows high levels of pollution in some of the deepest parts of the ocean — far from the industries that created the pollution. Somehow I doubt DT and his cronies will read or care about this new, disturbing finding.
“Just because pollution is out of sight doesn’t mean it’s harmless. One scientist says, ‘We’ve got to remember, planet Earth is mostly deep sea…and to think that it’s OK just to ignore it is a little bit irresponsible.'”
It’s A LOT irresponsible! And DT wants to put an oil and gas and industry buddy (Scott Pruitt) in charge of EPA? Oh, I get it…So he can destroy EPA and our air, water, and land.
This is wrong on so many levels. #RESIST
The possibility of a wall of water barrelling through my town and my family’s home, scares the crap out of me. You can’t stop water. But it is currently a potential reality for people in the path of a failing dam system in California.
Meteorologists point out that extreme weather events, such as the wet winter weather on the West coast this year, are becoming more frequent, dangerous, and widespread due to climate change. We all need to wake up, and NOW.
“What’s happened at Oroville Dam, it’s an example for us and a warning to us of what we need to be thinking about…We can try to mitigate how much climate change we see, but we also need to respond to what we believe will occur.”
The efforts by DT and his appointees, even in these first few weeks, clearly show they will not help us prepare for climate change impacts, or give a crap about stopping the things causing climate change in the first place.
Mother of 2